101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Who else can I still be?

Friday, August 11, 2006

Who else can I still be?



I am not sure that I really want to be anyone else (if pushed though Oprah does spring to mind *smile. Sigh*). Seriously though, I think wanting to be someone else means that I am not satisfied or that I am unhappy with who I am, and I am neither one of those things. I love like my life – with all its imperfections and pot holes. However there is always room for improvement, n’est pas?

There are things I would change about my past if I had a choice…

1. The type of men, people I allowed into my life.

2. Not pursuing my dream of doing something along the creative lines earlier (but like it’s said, better late than never, huh?)

3. If I had known back then what I know now, I would never have started shaving my legs!

Then there are things I would love to learn to be….

1. More forgiving

2. Patient

3. Less critical

4. Calmer – especially when my 3 year old has me pulling my hair out by the roots!

5. More laid back – it doesn’t matter if that pile of laundry doesn’t get done.

6. Disciplined – not letting myself be distracted by things going on around me while the stuff I need to be giving my attention to suffers.

7. Less reactive – I have a habit of drawing conclusions before the whole story has been played out.

8. More adventurous – in the risks I take (I am definitely risk adverse at the moment), the clothes I wear, the places I go, and the boundaries I cross.

There are areas of me I want to explore and develop…

1. Writing – not anything as complicated as writing a book but simple stuff: like keeping a journal, poetry or writing a letter to my daughter each month, so that when she grows up I can make a gift of them to her.

2. Accepting myself for who I am and really understanding what I am about.

3. My faith, my beliefs and how I am living them out. Am I really being true to them? Do I implement them in my everyday doings? Do I allow them kick in only when I am backed into a corner? Am I embarrassed by them? If so, why? Why am I sometimes so quiet about them especially when I find myself in a group of people who are saying things contrary to what I believe? Hard questions.

4. My own sense of style – the colours that suit me, a signature scent, a cute haircut.

Then there are things I would like to learn NOT to be….

1. Worried about the future.
2. Concerned about what ‘other people’ would say, think, feel.
3. Affected by other peoples opinions of me.
4. Restricted by (mostly) self imposed glass ceilings – I tend to think in negatives first and the positives almost always have to be pointed out to me.
5. Feeling like my problems should pale into insignificance when I hear/read/see other peoples problems. Why should I feel this way? My problems are just as important as anybody else’s.


And for the future? I'd like to ...

1. Live abroad somewhere - preferably in sunnier climes, by the beach somewhere.
2. Have another child and then close shop.
3. Be a fantastic Wife and Mother
4. Grow my business into a global entity (and truly believe that I can)
5. Discover the secret of true happiness.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a lovely post, full of possibilities! Very inspiring. Hope you make your wishes true.

Friday, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Kamsin said...

There are so many things we'd all like to change about ourselves and our lives. I guess the trick is knowing which ones we can achieve and when. I hope you get to be all you want and more.

Friday, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Roadchick said...

You've done the hard part - figuring it out. Now all you have to do is figure out how to get from Point A to Point B.
Never give up a dream!

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved these lists, I attempted to do something similar this week but I do believe that the way you wrote yours made much more sense!

Here's to all of those things (and more!) being achieved!

-Aly

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful post.
full of positive intentions.
thanks for sharing...
xo
swampgrrl

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Idiot Cook said...

I agree with the above posters--you really have the "hard stuff" figured out. Wonderful sentiments, and your passion shines through. Best wishes!

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Becca said...

What a thoughful, well written list! I think you have a very good chance of achieving all that you hope for. And I like the way you included things that you hope "not to be," because so often those stand in the way of our getting the good stuff done. Well done, and very inspiring!

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Pacian said...

I feel like I should be writing this all down...

Sunday, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Great list of possibilities, I must jot down a few. My entry should have included more of yours :) Hope you get it all.

Sunday, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

So many possibilities, and you're on the right track, identifying them and pinpointing what you want. Go get 'em!

Sunday, August 13, 2006  
Blogger lisrobbe said...

"Then there are things I would love to learn to be…." This was my favorite. But most everything you posted I am sure most of us seek. Great post.

Sunday, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Very inspirational aspirations. Sometimes when I read what someone else is reaching to achieve - like you - I think, yes, this is worthy. I want to walk in those footsteps. Thanks for footsteps to follow.

Sunday, August 13, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

Great post! But I am dying to know... why wouldn't you have started shaving your legs? :)

Sunday, August 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the sunday scribblings this week - making this list has given me a clearer picture of which I should be headed. I am glad it was an inspiration to some of you. Thank you

Monday, August 14, 2006  
Blogger michelle said...

great list, looks like you are well on your way to where you want to be...

I love that you want to explore your beliefs and truths, I too struggle with figuring what I really believe in and why I cannot stick up for those ideas.

Monday, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

Beautiful post! It's amazing how many I relate to, particularly the thing you'd love to learn to be and not to be--I wonder how much of this stuff is fairly universal?

Your question about your faith is very intriguing! I hope you explore it here more. And your idea of monthly letters to your daughter is great! What a beautiful gift that would be! Have you ever read this blog? She does monthly letters there: www.dooce.com

Monday, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Verity said...

I like the way you've explored all the possibilities for change, past and future. I love the idea of letters to your daughter, how wonderful!

Cheering you on in your endeavours,

Verity

Monday, August 14, 2006  
Blogger wendy said...

More true and sage advice...Wait to shave your legs....oh.. how I begged both of my daughters to wait. Very nicely detailed lists...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home