101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Getting the creative juices flowing

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Getting the creative juices flowing

At just the point in my life where I was beginning to feel that the last creative bone that I possessed had finally left my body, I have been stumbling across soooo many blogs out there kept by some very creative people. It’s like I’ve been down a gold mine these last few days unearthing absolute gems. There are so many challenges and mini-projects going on in the blogosphere and I would love to join them all. Alas, time is not kind and she would not permit me to do that, so I have to narrow it down to maybe 3 or 4 but I am finding it so difficult deciding which ones I would like to be a part of.

For a long time now, I have been finding it very difficult putting pen to paper to write anything – even a simple letter. I get all excited at the thought of creating something with my words but when I sit down to actually translate those thoughts onto paper, the words just don’t seem to come. Something that once was so easy for me has become quite a painful process now.

I have wanted to keep a journal for years now. I did used to keep journals when I was in my teens and early twenties but somehow life got in the way and I stopped journaling. But part of me has always missed putting my day, thoughts, experiences- and anything really – down on paper. And it’s sad to think that in my thirties when some of the most life changing events have taken place – immigrating to another country, buying a house, getting married, giving birth – not one of those experiences or the emotions I was going through at the time, did I record anywhere. Sure I have pictures but pictures, for me, are not the same or as emotional as putting things down on paper.

So wanting to rectify this, I dusted off a spiral bound journal I bought years ago from an art shop that was closing down and ‘wrote’ my first entry as a Visual. It was the first time ever I had ever tried visual journaling but I just loved it. I must admit though that it was a lot harder than I thought but after a few attempts (and a half full paper bin later), I got it to just how I wanted it. And it was a pretty decent attempt for a first timer, even if I do say so myself.

I couldn’t find one, but if you know of any weekly (or monthly) visual journaling challenge going on, let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Hey there! There's a visual journaling challenge (weekly) called mixed media memoirs at www.mixedmediamemoirs.com. :-)

Wednesday, April 12, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

hi there!

I so enjoyed this post! I also really related to it. I didn't write anything for years and years. Now that I have started again, I can't seem to stop - so be careful! :) I have enjoyed reading your words and will look forward to reading more!!

Thursday, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Jeri said...

I hope you don't mind me stopping by now and then for a visit. I could spend hours checking out your links to creative sites. I am so envious of people who make creating look so easy. Alas, I must leave the creative portal and get busy writing.

Friday, April 14, 2006  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

Hey! i just found this. its very inspiring. I'm determined to write my 101 things!

Saturday, April 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home