101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Today I Don't Want To Be

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Today I Don't Want To Be

Today I don’t want to be a wife
To cook and clean and iron
To satisfy you and make love even when I am tired to the bone
No, today I don’t want to talk and share and be there

Today I don’t want to be a mother
To mend bruised knees and blow a runny nose
To play pretend and make Play Doh shapes
No, today I don’t want to hug and kiss and cuddle

Today I don’t want to be a colleague
To make small talk and feign interest when you tell me how your weekend went
I don’t want to answer emails and phone calls and sign cheques
No, today I don’t want to work and type and plan

Today, I just want to be me.

Free.

4 Comments:

Blogger Morountodun said...

I feel you. We keep being forced to wear masks in our daily lives to fit the image of what someone else wants us to be. I'm not as lyrically blessed as you so I will dub Gavin Degraw:

I don't want to be anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do is think of me and have peace of mind
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms wondering what I gotta do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me

Thursday, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen to that.

Thursday, June 08, 2006  
Blogger claireylove said...

oh yes.
but the problem, is when i strip away all those other identities what's left? now that's worrying!

Friday, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Jeri said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing the post.

Saturday, June 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home