101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Two Peas in a Pod

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Two Peas in a Pod



The Sunshine Years

We met in kindergarten
You and I
And became firm and fast friends
We were five years old
Two peas in a pod
You and I

We laughed and played and loved
We brought two families together
We were inseparable
Even when I was away
You came over just so
You could spend the night
Sleeping in my bed

The turbulent years

Together we discovered
Cigarettes
Boys
Girls
Life

Your dad went into politics
Then into prison
And you had to leave
With your family
Suddenly
If not they might have come
For you

I didn’t understand
I missed you
Where did you go?
I wrote
Many, many letters
I thought
Many, many thoughts
I cried
Many, many tears

The return

Your dad is let out
Years later
Accusations false
Jungle justice
He never recovered
A couple of years later
He was dead

I heard the news
Of your return
Whispered
For a few days
For the funeral only

I was there
I saw you
We smiled
We hugged
But it was gone
The magic
The past
Erased by the present
The now
The connect was gone
Too many years
Too long a separation
We were 20

The in-between

The years rush past
Years in which
I have had letters from you
In a staccato fashion
But news nevertheless
I have dreamt of you
Not often true
But dreams nevertheless

I am fed up
Have had enough
I long for a change of scene
I move to England
To your mums house
Isn’t life strange?

We meet again
We are women now
With very separate lives
But this time
It is easier
Less confusing
I understand the past
More
We hug
Tight
We remember the past
More
But don’t speak of it
Too painful

The present years

We are on different sides of the world now
You with your man
Fifteen years younger but keeping you happy
Me not understanding your lifestyle
A mix of hippy/indo/Buddhist
But accepting you
The way you are
Anyway

I don’t understand much of you anymore
But perhaps you don’t understand me either

I very nearly didn’t write this and the memories are still fresh, painful almost making me cry. But now I am glad that I did. Besides, I felt guilty missing out on this weeks Sunday Scribblings.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Sheela said...

this is beautiful. i'm glad you shared it. thank you.

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Sheela, it's been a huge release for me.

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

wow this is really good. shows exactly how friendships can change over time

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Blogger claireylove said...

You know, it strikes me how you feel so different to your friend now, but she was still the one you chose to write about when it came to being two peas in a pod.
Thanks for sharing this.

Thursday, July 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes BB it's strange. Although still friends we are far from being as close as we once were many years ago but I still think of her as being my 'best' friend. I wonder why....

Friday, July 07, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh, sweetie, so glad you wrote this beautiful piece! True friendship will endure just about anything - even when you choose different paths.

Friday, July 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i'm going through this right now. At least you are still "friends" with your childhood best friend. Mine has completely changed, but i miss our closeness :)

Saturday, July 08, 2006  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

I updated my 101. onada02.blogspot.com

Saturday, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home