101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Letting Go

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Letting Go

Last night, I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night and I lay awake for many hours tossing and turning. My head was filled with thoughts of my childhood best friend. She got married in the last couple of weeks and I got to see photos of the wedding yesterday. The ceremony was a mix of Buddhist and western traditions. She looked radiant.

Looking through the photos brought home to me just what different paths our lives have taken and I physically hurt at the knowledge of how far away the friendship we once shared with each other now is. Almost like it never existed. How could two people who once shared so much in common have grown so far apart – so different – from one another? It this what time and distance does to a friendship? I sometimes wonder if I dreamt it all up but then I see the photographs of the two of us together at 4, 5, 6 ….12 years old and I am reassured that it wasn’t all a dream.

I know our friendship is gone now replaced by, well, I am not quite sure what. Too many miles separate us for anything more than the snippets of our lives that we share on the rare occasions that we see, to develop. There is nothing that binds us together anymore. Not our beliefs, not our lifestyle choices, not mutual friends. Nothing. Only Memories.

I miss her.

1 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have a friend like that and really, the only thing we have in common now is our past. It´s sad, but life moves on, we change, develop different interests and make new friends. Still, we treasure the memories of old friends.

Saturday, October 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home