101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Nurture {a story of breasts}

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Nurture {a story of breasts}

Over the last 36 weeks, I have watched as my body has gone through its amazing journey of transformation. I have watched in awe as my belly has swollen to accommodate the growing child within it, watched as the vertical line which divides my belly into two equal halves has grown darker and darker, watched as the skin on my neck has developed tiny skin tags and finally, watched as my once non-existent breasts have grown into two mounds of impressive proportions.

However, once I got over the initial excitement of being able to sport a killer cleavage for the second time ever in my life (the first time being when I was pregnant with my daughter over four years ago) I began to view my breasts in quite a different light, a light tinged with a kind of quiet respect.

Here was a part of my body created not to attract nor to serve as mere pleasure domes to the opposite sex ( as the media oftentimes tends to portray them) rather this was a part of my body whose purpose was now, 30+ years on, being revealed.

I have watched you grow
With the coming of my child
Your purpose revealed


The true purpose of my breasts is housed within them – they are the vessels through which I will nurture my new baby, giving him or her rich, nutrient filled, truly organic milk which will be baby’s nourishment for the first six months of its life.

A suckling baby
Nurtured by its mothers breasts
Rests contentedly


Isn’t that just such an amazing thought?

It is to me.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger written voize said...

beautifully written with such tenderness!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

A haiku to a breast was a first for me and wonderful. I can't wait to see the new baby!

I'm reminded of this time in my life but at 45 they now are hanging deli sausages. lol

Wednesday, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Mimey said...

Oh I love breastfeeding. loveD. That first suckle when the helpless infant knows what to do better than you do is awesome.

Lovely.

Thursday, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Tammy you crack me up! Seriously, these haiku spoke to me and had me remembering. I was able to nurse both our boys. The second was easier... thanks for sharing your insights.

Thursday, May 17, 2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such lovely haiku - perfect timing for you.

Thursday, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Becca said...

how lovely and heartfelt...

breastfeeding is such a marvelous experience, and your post brought back many lovely memories of the time when my son was tiny.

Thursday, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Patois42 said...

Beautiful. So honest, so true, so joyful.

Monday, May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home