101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: In the Kitchen

Saturday, March 24, 2007

In the Kitchen

The majority of my time is spent in the kitchen. (Funny how this seems to be the lot of many women).

The time is mostly spent doing the mediocre chores: loading and unloading the dishwasher and/or washing machine, cleaning out the fridge, clearing out the cupboards, picking up my daughters magnetic alphabets off the floor for the umpteenth time, putting away groceries and of course cooking – an activity I spend the bulk of my time on (too much time if you ask me). As I don’t ever buy ready made microwaveable meals (I like to know what goes into my food) I tend to cook everything from scratch, and I mean everything and believe me, this takes a lot of time. But I get the satisfaction of knowing that my family gets a wholesome, healthy meal with no additives.

Then there are the times when the kitchen stops being the place where I perform mediocre tasks and becomes a place that offers quite a different attraction for me. It becomes a room I can unwind in – a sanctuary of sorts. This is where I sit and read the Sunday paper over a steaming mug of tea, or scribble in my journal, or sneak into to have a quiet phone call with a good friend. It’s the place where, during the summer, I sit on the back step leading into the garden and soak up the sun and watch my flowers grow. Above all, it is the one place where I am allowed to indulge in one of my favourite pastimes – listening to the radio.

In a corner of the kitchen counter on a pile of cook books sits my cute little pale pink DAB satellite radio which was a Christmas present from my husband and the first thing I do when I walk into the kitchen is turn it on. And although I don’t always pay attention to the programme that’s on, the low background murmur of the moderators’ voice has a very comforting and soothing effect on me. Strange but true.

And that’s how I spend my time in the kitchen.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Regina said...

This was just lovely! Your kitchen sounds like a very nice place indeed!

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger rel said...

101,
What a delightful kitchen you have. I say that because it reminds me in so many ways of my own. i'm a radio listener also. Really our kitchen is the nuclear core of our house and family.
rel

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I want to eat and hang out in your kitchen ;) Scratch? WOW

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger Kamsin said...

I'm impressed to read that you prepare everything from scratch. Time consuming but worth it, I hope your family appreciate the time you take to feed them well!

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

"It becomes a room I can unwind in – a sanctuary of sorts."

I understand that. I listen to music in there. I solve crossword puzzles and/or just reflect on life.

Thanks for the visit.

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell where you heart is!

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your description of your kitchen as a sanctuary really inspired me...sunday papers and mugs of tea are definitely part of my ideal kitchen! i really enjoyed your post and especially the idea of wholesome, no-additive cooking, which is something i'm trying to get into. thank you!

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Lucky you, with a pink satellite radio! We don't own a microwave. I hate cooking things in one.

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like a lovely kitchen. The perfect place to live and work.

Sunday, March 25, 2007  
Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Ah, I want to come and relax in your kitchen too (the other stuff, though, I can do without)!

Monday, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I always have my tiny radio on when I am in the kitchen and it soothes me even though I don't often hear what is actually on it!

Monday, March 26, 2007  
Blogger leonie.wise said...

i think it's wonderful that you find your kitchen as a haven. how easy it is to forget sometimes to have time to ourselves as women isn't it? your kitchen sounds like a fab place to have time to yourself :)

Tuesday, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Jone said...

101, What a sancuarty you have. I am there. Lovely.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

Hurray for good cookin'! We don't own a microwave and almost every meal is made from scratch - what isn't made from scratch is carefully chosen. But I do envy that kitchen - I live in an apartment where the kitchen is little more than a hallway made a little wider!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely little glimpse into your life... I love what you wrote about your radio and the background murmur, I often feel the same way.

Thursday, March 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home