101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Goodbye

Friday, February 02, 2007

Goodbye

I have said many goodbyes in my time.

I have had happy goodbyes and sad goodbyes.
I have had goodbyes where I just wanted to break out in a little jig at the freedom this particular parting would bring and I have goodbyes that have broken my heart.

I have said goodbye to friends, foes, family and lovers.
I have said goodbye to homes, cities, jobs, countries and possessions.
I have said goodbye to dreams, hopes, plans, the person I used to be.
Yes, I have said good bye to many things.

There have also been the silent goodbyes where the word was never really spoken but we knew deep inside that we will never see that person again. Like a lover moving thousands of miles away. The phone calls eventually stop being made and the letters dry up. Goodbye.

I don’t like goodbyes, never have. They always leave me in tears- either of joy or sadness. There is a finality about the word that drains me emotionally so I’d rather say ‘See You Soon’ that way, there is the possibility that we might meet again someday. And that possibility is so much nicer.

Good bye: A Haiku

I force a bright smile
And hug you tightly to me
My heart breaks inside

One last kiss goodbye
Then we turn to hide our pain
A chapter closes

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger GoGo said...

The goodbye hiaku is something I have felt many times in young love.

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Blogger Kamsin said...

It is kind of interesting how most people would rather say "see you soon" than goodbye, there is always the possibilty of meeting again although in today's constantly changing world that often seems unlikely.
Anyway, I really like this post, it express the nature of goodbye very well.

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Blogger rel said...

101,
That's the reason I like the words au revoir, and a la prochaine.
Unless it takes place beside coffin, and even then one can hope for a reuniting in the hereafter.

Great haiku goodbye!
rel

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate goodbyes... but it's a word that i've had to say a lot lately...

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful haiku - and good description of the varying kinds of goodbye.

Friday, February 02, 2007  
Blogger Faith said...

My Great Grandma would not have any of us say goodbye. It was always see you later:) She was so wise.

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...this was the first Scribbling that I read this week

...finding that goodbye haiku was just plain eerie....beautiful...yet eerie

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Regina said...

Oh, I loved this- thank you so much! The haikus say it all for me...

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. A chapter closes and another one begins.

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice! I really enjoyed your haikus. I also chose to write a haiku this week.

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Inconsequential said...

:) good lil' hiaku



farewell :)

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Liza on Maui said...

A beautiful haiku.

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger alphawoman said...

The hiaku hit home.

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Goodbye...saying it is not easy for whomosoever and whatever reason.

I like those haikus..

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger jenica said...

i love the haiku, it's perfect!

Saturday, February 03, 2007  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

See? The first Sunday Scribbling I read this week, and the haiku has me in tears! Beautiful post

Sunday, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Ah yes i can relate so well to all your types of goodbyes.

Sunday, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

The more final the leave-taking, the harder the good-bye. Beautiful haikus.

Sunday, February 04, 2007  
Blogger RA said...

Hello! Thanks for your kind comment on my own goodbye post. I find everyone's take on goodbyes so interesting.

Hope you have a great week!

Sunday, February 04, 2007  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

The thoughts in your last paragraph and the haikus you posted are similar to those in the poem I posted. Enjoyed reading your entire entry.

Sunday, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've definitely danced that little jig myself, and also done the silent good-bye.
Thanks

Monday, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

You summed up the many meanings of good-bye very nicely (and poetically).

Monday, February 05, 2007  
Blogger JHS said...

Beautiful. We can all relate to the sentiments you shared, I'm sure.

Monday, February 05, 2007  
Blogger miss magic said...

This is a very good post; it puts into words what I've always felt. And a lovely haiku.

Friday, February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home