101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: The Morning Pages

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Morning Pages

Wrote my morning pages for the first time today (see The Artists Way by Julia Cameron) and it was an amazing experience.

I was a bit sceptical when I sat down and opened up the first page of my journal – the main thought being ‘Three pages? What am I going to find to write about that will be three pages long?’ But I tell you, as soon as my pen hit the page it just kept moving. My wrist was aching and my fingers were cramping up (made me realise just how long it’s been since I’ve written in long hand for any length of time)  but the pen just kept on going.

I am absolutely amazed at how many things are going through the mind at any one time. It’s crazy. It flirts from subject to subject – from the mundane, to the aggressive to the exciting, to the upsetting. Millions and millions of thoughts. I could have gone well past three pages had my daughter not woken up and interrupted me.

The bottom line? It was wonderful. Freeing, liberating, it was an exercise in mental de-cluttering. Fantastic. It’s like it gave my mind room to carry on with other things – things and thoughts that are more beneficial and uplifting to me. I cannot wait for tomorrow morning to come.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to describe free writes. I love it. I do this about every day of my own accord and it is amazing the stuff that comes out!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing, isn't it. i would recommend it to anyone.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home