101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Before my Time

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Before my Time

There is a little boy in my daughters’ nursery whose face hunts me. I saw him for the first time yesterday being cradled in the arms of the nursery manager, tears streaming down his face. ‘He joined us on Monday,’ she tells me, ‘he is two years old. He lost his mum two months ago. Yesterday he called me Mummy.’ I could feel the tears pricking the backs of my eyes when she told me that. I think of my daughter and how she will cope should I ever be snatched away before ‘my time’. This thought is unbearable. Unbearable.

(100 Words)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

That is a terrible predicament for that little baby. So tragic and sad. The thought of it happening to any mother and child hurts my heart.

Thursday, August 24, 2006  
Blogger Verity said...

this really tugged at me. how did it feel writing it in 100 words?

Thursday, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... tears... this one got me :(

Thursday, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@verity: It's funny, but the words just flowed out - no editing, no conscious counting, nothing. I wrote from my heart and when I stopped, it was 100 words long. Weird.

@Paris and Belle: My heart still aches.

Thursday, August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home