101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: What time will you be back?

Friday, August 25, 2006

What time will you be back?

There is something about this question that I find very restrictive. Something about it that takes away my sense of freedom – real or imagined. It reminds me of my teenage years when I always had to give my parents a return time. As an adult, I don’t want that. I want to be able to go out and not have to be bound by time, frantically checking my watch because I promised to be back at a certain time. I want to walk at snails pace peering into shop windows, browsing the books in Waterstones and enjoying the moment... unhurried.

(100 Words)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes, this is true. Wandering with no agenda is a wonderful luxury. And I hate having to put a time frame on something. But if a child's involved, one worries - only to know they're safe. At the moment my daugher's on a flight to Los Angeles and I'll worry until I know she's landed. I thought it would get easier as she got older, but it hasn't. Sigh.

Friday, August 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She'll be fine. I know, transatlantic flights are worrying for all. Signs of the time.

Friday, August 25, 2006  
Blogger Verity said...

I can relate to this. I had a boyfriend who used to insist on calling me every night (even though he didn't want me moving in with him), so whenever I went out without him I was always looking at my watch to make sure I was back in time for his phone call. Funny that missing his call wasn't an option to me. Now if I'm not back when I'm expected, I shrug. It's not the end of the world. I was looking at books, I say. And it's fine.

Friday, August 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home