101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Morning

Friday, November 03, 2006

Morning


I open my eyes and find its early morning
I can see the first rays of light
Coming through the windows
I lower my eyes and watch you sleeping
You look so beautiful and at peace
Sleeping there beside me
And my heart almost bursts with my love for you
This is the picture of you
I carry with me always
My beautiful lover asleep in my bed

And I pretend that when you awake
You’ll hold me in your arms
And tell me how much I mean to you
And how you’ll never let me go
And I in turn will promise you
My everlasting love
And then we’ll make slow sweet love
And lay in each other’s arms
Till the evening comes
But all this happens in my mind only

In reality…
I open my eyes and find its early morning
Because I can see the rays of light
Coming through the windows
I lie stiffly beside you
Fearing I would wake you if I turn
But I need not worry
You awake presently with a little grunt
Then you turn and look at me
And ask why I’m staring at you in such a funny way
I lower my eyes and give no reason
No time will ever be right
To tell you how much I love you
So I don’t even bother to try

You switch on the radio
And drift in and out of light sleep
Suddenly with a start you sit up
Drawing the covers around your body
The same body which you let me
Look upon so freely the night before
Now I in turn feel embarrassed at my nakedness
But I understand
That was last night
And this is early morning
You have ceased to belong to me

You search for your watch or ask me the time
I tell you its half past eight
With a muttered curse and one quick movement
You’re out of bed and climbing into your jeans
You’re pulling on your shirt
And grabbing my toothbrush
In less than seven minutes
You’re dressed and ready to go
I give you a bright smile
And pretend I don’t care
With not a goodbye kiss
But a carefree ‘I’ll see you sometime’
You open my door and you’re gone

I have no right to ask
If I’ll see you later or tomorrow
You ceased to give me that privilege a long time ago
I’m left empty and confused
All I know is that sometime next week
There’ll be a knock on my door
And there you’ll be
Smiling brightly at me
You’re arrived for our weekly coupling
And we’ll go through the same cycle
When early morning comes
This poem, which I entitled 'Early Morning', was written some 15 years ago but I think it fits in nicely with this weeks' prompt.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger rel said...

101,
I lkie it, the way it pulls you in and then repels you. Even with these contrasts, (maybe it's the feel and sound of the words) i feel relaxed...peaceful.
rel

Saturday, November 04, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Excellent poem - a very familiar story to so many of us. The years haven't dated it. Thanks for sharing these bittersweet words.

Saturday, November 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**clapping**
Great poem. I read it on your poetry blog too. very nice!

Saturday, November 04, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Excellent poem, and yes it fits the prompt perfectly.

Sunday, November 05, 2006  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

Very nice. I love the contrast between the narrator's wishes and what actually happens.

Sunday, November 05, 2006  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

Wow! So beautiful--like the warmth of morning sunlight and the silken richness of velvet---the first 2 stanzas. So achingly sad the last 2 (or was it 3).

As Tara said, the years don't date the story.

Monday, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That broke my heart - the longing, the rejection, the certainty that things won't change. Beautifully expressed.

Monday, November 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home