101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: An Artists Date and a Bud Stage Business

Saturday, April 22, 2006

An Artists Date and a Bud Stage Business


The place was a riot of colours, textures, patterns, FABRIC!!


I went out on my first Artists Date yesterday. I didn’t plan it to be – it just happened. Personally I think sometimes the best days turn out to be the ones that haven’t been planned.

After dropping my daughter off at nursery, I was overcome by a strong urge to go into the city. After all, were I to make my way straight back home it would only be to immerse myself in housework - (something I find myself doing almost without thinking – loading the washing machine, clearing out cupboards, dusting and so forth. Things that just eat your time but don’t add any real value of sense of accomplishment except having a tidy house) - until it was time to go back to the nursery to pick my daughter up. And no, I wasn’t going to do that! Sure it was dull and grey and rainy but I decided to go anyway and spend the morning at a haberdashery that I have been meaning to visit for ages but never gotten round to. And I am so glad I did.

For ages I have been wanting to start up a small home based business (making customized fabric handbags) but it’s been one excuse after the other – ‘where am I going to find the time to sew with a toddler on my hands’ or ‘I can’t find the exact fabric I need’ or ‘who’s going to buy my stuff’ or… you get the picture – so hence the trip to the haberdashery.

Oh it was wonderful just stepping through the doors. The place was a riot of colours, textures, patterns, FABRIC!! It took me back to the good old days when I used to churn out a new outfit every week for myself. I used to spend hours down at the market stalls looking for just THE perfect fabric to suit my outfit of choice from my many Burda magazines.

After about an hour of touching, running cloth through my fingertips just for the shear pleasure of it’s feel, tugging and pulling to see if it had the right stretch (or no stretch at all), comparing my swatches with accent colours, I made my choice (orange, black and blue canvas), had them measure out the required amounts and then made my way to the till where I proceeded to spend a small fortune – quite happily I may add – and left the shop a very happy lass indeed. So this weekend my ‘how to make handbags’ books come off the shelves and my sewing machine comes out from under its dust cover because it’s show time!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

That's terrific. Good luck with the home based business. Have you thought about selling over the internet?

Saturday, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I have, very much so but not sure how to go about it. Any tips?

Saturday, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I would love to see what you make. I am getting into the handmade bags. Good luck!

Sunday, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Jeri said...

Ooh, I'm not sure. I haven't looked into it myself. You can probably find a lot of the info you need right on the internet. How to create a business web page, how to market your product online, how to get people to come to your site, and how to get paid. Some businesses even sell their products on Ebay. They already have the web page, the marketing, the clientele and different payment options set up, you just tap into it. It may be a way to get your feet wet. If none of that works for you, you can always buy a book. : ) I wish you the best of luck.

Sunday, April 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Jeri: Thanks Jeri. I thought of the ebay route as well. I think I will explore that for now and have a nose around the WWW as well, I'm sure something will come up.

@Shannon: Thank you! As soon as i get a couple knocked out, i will post some pics.

Sunday, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home