101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Money and Me

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Money and Me

As my husband opened his wallet I joked ‘Are you about to give me some money?’ ‘No,’ he replied ‘I don’t like giving you money because you don’t like taking it from me.’ It’s true. I never, physically, take money from him. It embarrasses me. Put it on the table, I‘d say - or withdraw into indifference. Growing up, when my parents gave me money it mostly had a string attached – I hated that. In adulthood, that’s manifested itself into a difficulty accepting money graciously. I don’t want to feel indebted to anyone, husband included. Is that a bad thing?

(100 Words)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...i'm the same way. I think it has something to do with my mother telling me (repeatedly) growing up NEVER to take money from a man because he might want **something**. It makes me uncomfortable even accepting gifts from men, and i always insist on alternating dinner payments etc..

i'm surprised you apply this within marraige though... but i guess its hard to unlearn something that's been done for so long though..

Thursday, August 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, belle, one would think because we are married I shouldn't feel this way and yet I do. I know he is quite upset by my attitude, hence the comment he made. But I can't seem to help it.

Thursday, August 31, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

No, it's perfectly understandable. And I feel the same way.

Thursday, August 31, 2006  
Blogger rel said...

101,
Only if you become anal about it.
rel

Thursday, August 31, 2006  
Blogger Verity said...

I feel the same way too. But there is taking something, and there is receiving something, and sometimes it's harder to receive something that is being given freely to you.

Friday, September 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wise words verity.

Friday, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home