101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: The Monster...

Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Monster...


The monster I share very close quarters with can’t be seen nor felt; nonetheless it is very real indeed. It would sink its teeth into my best laid plans on an almost daily basis if I let it and when it grabs me in its jaws it takes all of my strength to prise them open and jump out to safety.

Sometimes my monster steps in, especially on the days I am feeling particularly rebellious, at just the right time and I welcome it in with open arms even allowing it hang around with me for a day or two. It always out stays its welcome though and I end up having to forcibly kick it out. It doesn’t seem to mind my rude ways though as it keeps coming back!

It’s an annoying distraction this monster of mine. After each visit, it leaves in its wake a litter of never begun or half completed tasks. It never helps me clear up the mess and it always, ALWAYS leaves me feel guilty- especially on the days I grudgingly give it room to flex its muscles.

But I wonder sometimes if I really ever want to be rid of it. It’s kind of like an old acquaintance now – you know, one you’d love to hate. I certainly would not class it as a friend though inspite of our knowledge of each other spanning many years. Besides, if I had known way back then what it was really like, I wouldn’t even have allowed it its present status of acquaintance. But over the years, we have learned to tolerate each other and that works just fine for us.

Although, I get the sneaky feeling you already know this monster acquaintance of mine, some of you even having unwittingly entertained it on occasions (did I happen to mention that he is also very cunning? He sometimes pretends he’s doing you a favour when in fact, he is ruining your life) I’ll introduce you to it anyway …

Hi, I would like you to meet my monster and it's called … PROCRASTINATION.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy. Yes. Absolutely this is one of the biggest problems in my life too.

Great (and actually SCARY!) post. :)

Saturday, August 26, 2006  
Blogger TMTW said...

LOL, I hate that monster!!! I'll kick him out... one of these days...

Saturday, August 26, 2006  
Blogger rel said...

That son-of-a-gun is prolific too.

It's offspring have invaded every corner of the globe.

Saturday, August 26, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I'm afraid I know him a little too well. He's followed me around all over the world. Great post!

Saturday, August 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I've got a long-running relationship with this monster too. I imagine it's on pretty intimate terms with most of the people on the planet.

Saturday, August 26, 2006  
Blogger Kerstin said...

Well hello, there you are! What are you doing visiting other bloggers now? Hey, I have an idea, why don't you stay for a while and perhaps forget to come back here? Mmmm, didn't think so. Ah well, maybe tomorrow we'll try again ...

Great post, thanks!

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger NuttersNotes said...

He's an impressive monster....I thought that he had a full time at my house. It looks like he has been putting in overtime at your house as well as my fellow commenters.

This post inspires me...tomorrow will be an "up and at em" day here in Nutsville.

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Clever.

That monster gets around.

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

He comes here too, and when he just grows too huge, I make a massive effort to get him out, and he's gone for a while, then he sends round a cute, harmless-looking little cousin, and I let them in, just for a while... But those little monsters just grow into big monsters if you let them, don't they?

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Kamsin said...

All to well acquainted with this pesky old monster! Am learning to keep him locked outside but he still gets in far too often! Great post. One of the most original I've read on this topic.

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger Mpana said...

as i try to finish some research that should've and could've been done two days ago, i can empathise completely!!

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

Marvelous, if unsettling,post!! I too, know this monster all too well and vehemently despise him. Yet I have not learned to hold him at bay. Seductive--yes. I rationalize that I work best under crisis/deadline. But I like myself less for making the excuse and respect myself less that I have never learned, even briefly, to transcend his control over me.

Thank you for giving him this new, clear identity: monster. Maybe it will be easier to focus on him as a target now that his camouflage has been ripped away.

Sunday, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only person he visits. Teeheehee

Monday, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home