101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Going for my dream - At Last!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Going for my dream - At Last!


Wow! I’ve been so wired these last couple of days its unreal. It’s like a light bulb has finally gone off in my brain and its spurring me on to at last fulfilling a dream of mine.

I have always had a passion for sewing and I get so excited just looking at fabrics, zips, buttons, threads, interfacing, felt… okay, okay you get the picture . All through my university years, I made almost all my clothes and many of my Christmas presents were handmade by me as well. And because it was just such a part of me, an activity I could lose myself in, I have never quite been able to figure out why I suddenly stopped sewing. Just like that. And it’s been many years now since I did anything related to sewing – sure I’ve made the odd set of curtains and cushion covers, but nothing that I'll callreal sewing.  

For a the better part of 6 years, my dream (lurking around vaguely in my brain) has always been to start a line of business selling goods that I have handmade myself . However, I have never really serious pursued it .. that is not up until a week ago when a book came through my mailbox called ‘The best year of your Life: Dream it, Live it, Plan it’ by Debbie Ford.

Now I am not a major fan of self-help books – most of them are just churning out the same information – but this one has really struck a chord with me and has caused me to take a long hard look at my life and where it is today, and where, if I continue the way I am today, it will be in 10 years time. And what I see, I am not happy with. I am a good mum, employee, wife, member of my community but in all this, I realise that these are all aspects of me related to other people (my daughter, my job, my husband and society) and none of them relates to ME personally. In other words, I am losing my identity by doing for other people but not doing for myself. I have been blessed with so many talents that I am not putting to use and just letting lay dormant. Well, that’s about to change. I am tired of sitting around waiting for the life I want to happen. I now know it's up to ME to make it happen.

So, the last 48hours have been a frenzy of cutting out patterns, choosing fabric, sending out business related emails and generally kicking my butt into action. I have finally decided to quit the excuses and go for what I want. And what I want is my dream.

A couple of days ago, I posted an entry asking for (free () advice from anyone who has set up an online business. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted it when I was editing my template. So the plea for help still stands. I would love to hear from you if you are an online business owner (or are in the process of setting one up). I have so many questions for you. Please leave a comment or mail me at yummumblogs (at) yahoo (dot) com if you can help in anyway. Thanks!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is wonderful. I wish I had advice but I don't but I say go for it. :) It sound beautiful and meant to be.

Friday, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Wow, your excited is really showing I hope you find some good advice out there! I have some dreams too. I'm slowly working towards them...

Friday, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Jeri said...

Congratulations. Sounds like you really love it and really want it. I wish you all the luck.

Saturday, April 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds totally cool! You go for it and I know you will get the help you need along they way.

Saturday, April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home