101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Change

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Change

It was really uncanny when I saw this weeks’ prompt because on Thursday morning as I stood underneath the shower I made a promise to myself. In 2007, I promised, I shall not make any resolutions rather; it will be my year of Change. I will not have a long list of things which I tick off along the way instead, I shall effect small but important changes which will have a significant impact on and in my life over the next 12 months.

You see, I never quite fulfill my resolutions, and on the 31st of each year they stare at me accusingly from off the page on which I had written them 365days prior. I feel guilty, I feel annoyed, I feel like I have failed… yet again. I am tired of feeling like this every years end.

The one question I ask myself as 2007 looms is - Which habits do I need to change to move me one step further to where I want to be?

I shall not resolve to lose 10kg before the end of March but I will change my eating habits by taking one less bread roll or walking to the grocery store instead of hopping into the car for the 2 minute drive.

I shall not resolve to read the Bible in a year but I will change the way I read it – reading one chapter only a day and if it takes me 3 years to finish it, then I would have accomplished my mission.

You see, my life does not need resolutions, it need Change. A Change in my habits, a Change in the way I view life (no, the universe is not out to get me), a Change in the way I perceive myself and my abilities, a Change in the way I deal with people, a Change in my personal relationships and my relationship with God, a Change in my thinking.

And these changes cannot be achieved in one year – which (mainly) is the deadline for the achievement of resolutions. Change takes time. It’s taken almost 37 years to make me what I am today, so what makes me think I can undo the person I have become in just one year?

So I raise my glass to change and echo the words of Oprah who says

Making a different choice gives you the opportunity to live a different life.

Happy New Year in advance everyone!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exxcellent post, I agree so much with your idea of focusing on change rather than resolutions! Hope 2007 brings lots of positive changes in your life!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post.

Saturday, December 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home