101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: Destination

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Destination


I am sure I have heard it said somewhere, and I quote very loosely, that ‘…it is not in the destination, it is in the journey.’ I couldn’t agree more.

The word destination has a finality about it and to reach ones destination - either of a goal, a dream, an aspiration or a long nursed hope – suggests that you have reached the end, there is no place left to go. This frightens me – the thought of having no place left to go, no more options open to me. Fini, Ende, Period.

Ah, but a journey – the word alone suggests wonder, discovery, experimentation, exploration, venturing into the unknown. It signifies growth, learning, change.

I realise now that I never want to reach a destination. Sure I want to work towards something, but I never want that something to come to an end. I want my life to be one endless journey – going down mysterious roads, falling over, picking myself up, trying out new things, making changes, realizing those changes don’t work, then making new changes.

And for this reason, I have determined that for 2007 I shall not be making any resolutions. Resolutions are all about reaching destinations – lose 30lbs by March, quit my job by August and so on, but imagine making 2007 one long journey of (self) discovery. So instead of saying lose 30lbs by March, you say try a new fruit, walk in the park more often, give olive oil a try and so forth. All new things to try but which, hopefully will lead you to your goal but in a creative, exploratory and fun way. Think about it.

May 2007 be YOUR year of exploration, discovery and wonder. May you never reach a destination.

Journey well…

Happy New Year everybody.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Elspeth said...

I like your post. I look forward to my journey(s).

Sunday, December 31, 2006  
Blogger rel said...

101,
Happy New Year!
I hope your journey is filled with learning challenges.
rel

Sunday, December 31, 2006  
Blogger megan said...

Yesterday Stuart McLean (CBC) talked about the secret to keeping your New Year's resolutions...make them fun. Thanks for sharing your similar view. I'm convinced.

Happy New Year to you!

Monday, January 01, 2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes, it's all about the journey(s). Hope you're feeling much better by now and that the new year is filled with joy (along with the new baby).

Monday, January 01, 2007  
Blogger meghan said...

Happy New Year! I love your ideas and I like your style! I hope that this new year is bursting with wonderful experiences!!

xo

Monday, January 01, 2007  
Blogger Rethabile said...

May you journey well, too...

Monday, January 01, 2007  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

It is all in the journey. I'm not making resolutions either....

Monday, January 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home