101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: My Shoes

Saturday, May 06, 2006

My Shoes


...my SHOES knee length boots dainty rhinestone encrusted slippers well worn Birkenstocks i love them ALL...

I love shoes, I always have. Right from when I was a little girl. I come from a family of women who all love shoes. My mother has had a life long love affair with shoes and it’s an affair that I have embraced with joyous abandon.

I own, off the top of my head, about 40 pairs of shoes (and that’s because I recently had a big clear out) and it’s impossible for me to pick a favorite pair - from my knee length boots, to my dainty rhinestone encrusted slippers, to my well worn Birkenstocks, to my black flip flops with the fading pattern of circles on them – I love them all. And I have lovingly gathered my collection of shoes over a good few years.

I never walk into a shoe shop knowing what I want. NEVER. But what I do know is that when I find the perfect pair, they SPEAK to me. My heart begins to pump, the blood rushes into my brain, my eyes dilate, my palms become sweaty and I am practically drooling. These are all the symptoms my body displays when I clap eyes on the perfect pair of shoes. It is the point of no return. Those shoes are going to a new home today, my inner voice is screaming – mine!

And because I already have so many shoes, I always have to sneak in any additional pair that I purchase. They get hidden away at the back of my wardrobe away from the prying eyes of my husband, only to resurface a couple of weeks later – on my feet.

My husband will look down, puzzled, and say ‘Those look new.’
‘What?’ I will reply with a little light laugh ‘These old things? I have had them for ages!’ and I quickly change the subject.

Oh, and all my shoes, as far as he is concerned, cost at least 25% less than what I actually paid for them. Don’t look like that! Oh, go on admit it… I am sure y’all have knocked off a couple of pounds/dollars/Yen off the actual price of your shoes when asked by your partner how much you paid for them. We all do. We’re women!!

As you look through my collection of shoes one thing will strike you straight away – they are all flat.

‘Sweetie, why don’t you try on a pair with a little bit of heel?’

This is one thing I have been urged by my husband to do on the rare occasion when he accompanies me on a shoe shopping expedition. He is 6ft 4” tall. I am 5ft 3”. And although it is more of a plea than a question, I never do.

Yes, my shoes are many things to me and if they could speak they’d have stories to tell. They are mood lifters, feet movers, body toners, calf enhancers, comfort providers, walking companions.

Each pair a part of my life: each pair serving a purpose. And each pair much loved.




9 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh, I love this! Yes, I've hidden away new shoes, for them to emerge later and maybe not be noticed by my husband. I do this all the time for other purchases, too. And the full price is never revealed (although he probably thinks it's better not to know and no longer asks). Great post about your special shoes and how you feel when you acquire new ones to add to your collection. Thanks for this!

Saturday, May 06, 2006  
Blogger Lou said...

I am not a shoe lover, but your passion for shoes is both evident and enthusiastic! I can feel it--that moment when you find the perfect pair! I used to prefer flat shoes, too--have you ever tried Aerosoles? I always thought that they made really original shoes that were stylish and comfortable (and flat!). Thanks for sharing this fabulous post!

Sunday, May 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me above, signed in as my husband! Sorry! xo

Sunday, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Kara said...

I may not be a shoe lover - but your post made me somehow want to be. I understand about fudging the numbers - men have no clue what women's clothes and shoes cost!!! - Of course maybe it's because we fudge the numbers all the time ...hee hee.

Sunday, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Shuku said...

Wonderful, wonderful and so lovely to read! I appreciate beautiful shoes - I just can't wear most of them because they hurt my feet so badly - and I envy you so many gorgeous pairs!

Fudge numbers. I haven't with shoes - but I do with my BOOKS. My future husband is going to come back to new books every -day- if I have a chance. Poor man!

--Shuku

Sunday, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

You are on the opposite spectrum of me in the shoe appreciation scale--but, oh, how I enjoyed the "insider's view" to the hunt for the perfect pair of shoes. Now you've got me thinking...

Sunday, May 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I agree there is nothing more exhilerating than finding the perfect shoe, or the perfect skirt, or the perfect earrings to go with the skirt that goes just right with the shoes and then it's "Well, I guess I have to get them all!!" Or is that just me?

Sunday, May 07, 2006  
Blogger eliza said...

heh. i'm a shoe lover too and own... eek, even more than you, i think. (but who's counting! it feels a bit dubious, does it not?) anyway, i wanted to tell you that i'm 6'1" and own only one pair of flats! just gotta do what feels right, right?

great post.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006  
Blogger come to me said...

great post! I to LOOOOVVVEEE shoes:) tell me, I love your template and how you have these beautiful words on the side, where is it from?

Tuesday, May 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home